I’m so happy to see all of the spring vegetables coming into season. Asparagus is one of my favorites.
Roasting asparagus is one of my go-to ways to prepare it. It’s easy and the asparagus gets so sweet and beautifully charred.
To bump up the flavor of roasted vegetables, I love to toss them in a vinaigrette after cooking them. Make sure they’re still warm when you do this, so they really soak up all those flavors. The lemon-chili oil I made here combined with a squeeze of lemon juice is essentially the same idea as a vinaigrette. A very spicy one that is.
The chilies and lemon zest flavor the oil almost instantly. And boy, is this chili oil hot. If you want to tone it down a notch, leave out the seeds or just substitute in a pinch of red pepper flakes. I think the pecorino is a great finishing touch. It adds a great tang and nuttiness and somehow makes the spice-level feel a little more mellow.
- 3T extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1-2 small red chilies, thinly sliced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Pecorino Romano, grated, for garnish (omit, if vegan)
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 450°F. For the lemon-chili oil, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, chilies and lemon zest in a small bowl. The oil can be prepared several hours in advance, if desired. Set aside.
- Place the asparagus on a baking sheet, drizzle with the remaining oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Roast 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Broil for an additional 2-4 minutes or until lightly charred in spots.
- Drizzle with the lemon-chili oil, garnish with cheese and serve with lemon wedges. Enjoy.