Cactus pears or prickly pears come in a number of varieties and colors. I used the sweet, deep red variety I see most commonly in grocery stores near me. It’s dense, watermelon-like texture and raspberry-watermelon flavor make it an excellent choice for sorbet. If you find yellow, orange or green cactus pears, I’m sure they’ll be equally delicious in this recipe.
- 2 ½ lb cactus pears (about 7-9 pears), peeled and chopped
- ½ C sugar
- ½ C water
- Pinch of salt
- 2T lemon juice
- Combine sugar, water and salt in a small saucepan. Warm mixture over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Meanwhile, place cactus pears in a blender and pulse until smooth. Add simple syrup and lemon juice to pears and blend until combined.
- Pour mixture into a bowl through a sieve. Chill about 4 hours or up to overnight. Freeze using ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Let set completely in freezer. Enjoy.
- Total time does not reflect time needed to chill and churn sorbet.