My recipe lays out the foundation for the perfect French Toast. The keys are good quality, day-old bread, and generous amounts of butter, cinnamon and real maple syrup. Who could argue with that.
Basic French Toast
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 159
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 18g
Saturated Fat 5g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrates 42g
Dietary Fiber 2g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 4 slices day-old bread, such as challah, brioche or country white bread*
- 2 large eggs
- 2T whole milk or cream
- Dash vanilla extract
- Dash of cinnamon, plus more for serving
- Dash of salt
- 2T butter
- Beat together eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Melt butter in pan, using 1T for every 2 slices of bread.
- Dip bread in egg mixture, coating thoroughly, and shake off any excess before adding to pan. Cook French toast for about 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Cook in 2 batches, if needed.
- To serve, sprinkle with cinnamon, drizzle with warm maple syrup and top with powdered sugar, if desired. Enjoy.
- If using fresh bread, place on baking sheet in a 325°F oven and partially dry out for about 3-4 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Brina's Bites https://brinasbites.com/